Tau Uncooled Thermal Imaging Camera Cores
Tau is a longwave infrared (LWIR) camera line that includes several models:
- Tau 640 is a 640x512 VGA-format thermal camera with a pixel size of 17 microns;
- Tau 320 is a 324x256 QVGA-format thermal camera with a pixel size of 25 microns;
- Tau 160 is a 160x120 format thermal camera with a pixel size of 25 microns.
Tau outputs NTSC video at 30 frames per second (fps) as a standard, or PAL video at 25 fps. A "slow video" option is available for each model that exempts the camera from export license requirements. The slow video rate is 7.5 fps for NTSC and 8.3 fps for PAL.
Many common camera controls are brought out in the Tau Camera Control GUI (graphical user interface), a free download at the Tau Software page.
Several lens options are available for all Tau models. Lens-less camera core versions of the Tau 320 and Tau 640 are also available. See the Optics tab for detailed lens information.
A variety of optional accessories provide additional Tau connectivity. These can be seen at the online store www.flirshop.com.
FLIR designs, manufactures, and assembles all of its critical camera components in-house, from the readout integrated circuits (ROICs), to the focal plane array sensors, and final infrared camera assembly, test, and calibration.
This product is intended for use by INCORPORATION INTO ANOTHER PRODUCT ONLY and is not considered by FLIR to be a finished end-product fit for general consumer use. Click here for applicable regulatory notices.
Some key features of the Tau cameras are listed below.
- Field switchable between NTSC and PAL video formats
- CMOS and BT.656 digital video options, as well as 14-bit LVDS
- Camera power and high-speed serial camera communication (up to 921,600 baud ) via the Tau VPC serial-to-USB Accessory
- Advanced, user-friendly interface for camera control and configuration
- On-board image capture and storage
- EMI suppression to Class B with rear cover installed, and Class A without rear cover
- Up to 200g shock tolerance
- Discrete camera control functions available to OEMs
- Multiple lens options available in wide and narrow fields of view
- Wide field of view lenses sealed to IP-67
- Threaded WFOV lens barrel for bulkhead mounting or external attachment options
Refer to the Export tab for important export information.