Tau 2 LWIR Thermal Imaging Camera Cores
Tau 2 is the latest generation product in FLIR’s Tau family of LWIR uncooled thermal imaging camera cores.
Two significant advances in Tau 2 are the introduction of:
- Enhanced electronics for improved image processing; and
- FLIR’s 336×256, 17μ-pitch sensor format (in addition to the 324×256, 25μ-pitch & 640×512, 17μ-pitch Tau 2 versions)
There is no difference in form or fit between Tau 2 and the first generation Tau cameras. The upgraded Tau 2 electronics enable additional functions and capabilities that are planned for release on a periodic basis. A comparison of the Tau2 version evolution can be found here: Tau Feature Comparison. Note that earlier versions of Tau (1.X) cannot be upgraded to the newer Tau 2 configuration.
Since the electronics are common between the Tau 2 – 640, Tau 2 – 336, and Tau 2 – 324, integrators have direct compatibility between the different camera formats, and most Tau camera versions share the same lens options.
FLIR also offers three low-cost Tau 2 options for applications that do not require high resolution imaging:
- Tau2 160 a 160×128 with 25 μ-pitch
- Tau2 162 a 160×128 with 50 μ-pitch
- Tau2 168 a 160×128 with 34 μ-pitch